Tuesday, March 25, 2008

She Who Delights in Dance

Athena and I just returned from out vacation to Eureka Springs!  I have a lot to report, so I will be posting about it for the next few days.

One rainy day Athena and I saw a strange bird in the garden of a hotel. It was all fluffed up and sparkling with water drops, and looked like a gray speckled snowball with a long thin straight blue-gray tail. It walked around a little, and let us get fairly close before moving off. I opened a heart connection to it and said ‘hi’, and it immediately stopped and turned around and walked back towards us a little. We asked it what it was doing walking around in a public garden near the path, didn’t it think that someone might hurt it? She responded “This is my place. I walk around here whenever I want! And if someone tries to stop me they will get a good peck!” We asked her what type of bird she was, but get no response; it was raining so we left.
A friend suggested that she may have been a roadrunner. She didn’t look anything like the roadrunners we knew, that are sleek, skinny, red-brown birds that never get close to people.
A few days later we were back at the same park, and there she was again! This time she was dry, and she was indeed a roadrunner. But a different species than the ones we knew, since she had a variegated gray back and white belly. She was quite pretty, and just as bold as ever. She would not come up to us, but we could get within 4 feet of her before she would back off. She was busy catching grubs; she would turn her head, listen intently, then hop and snatch a grub right out of the ground and swallow it. 
I spoke to her a bit more. She was interested, and we had a good conversation while she hunted. She said that of course she was a roadrunner, wasn’t it obvious? And yes, she thought that she was rather attractive. We asked if she had any babies, she said not now, they were all fledged and off on their own. 
I asked what her name was. She said she didn’t really have a name, but would like one. Maybe something to do with her gracefulness? She said that she was an exceptionally graceful and elegant dancer, that that was her special skill. She loved to dance, especially in the moonlight. Sometimes a male would see her and would of course be immediately captivated by her grace and beauty. If he danced with her, and showed enough talent himself, then they might get together; that way she insured that all her chicks were beautiful dancers also.
We suggested the name “Grace”, which she accepted, but she thought that maybe something fancier would be nice; she picked up from me a thought about the muse of dance, and said that if I would find the name of the muse of dance and gift her with it, then she would be delighted. I said that I would look it up as soon as I could.
She consented to pose for a few pictures, and quite liked the idea and the attention, although she kept fluffing up with excitement which made it difficult to catch a good one. About this time some other couples walked by and saw her, and wanted to take pictures too. Grace was pleased about this and posed for them a bit; but after a small group gathered it got to be too much for her and she hopped away and hid under the building. 
Near the end of our stay, after I had gone on a spirit journey in the big jaccuzi tub on the back porch, I was cooling off and watching the full moon over trees of our private back yard. I sent out my heart and spoke to Grace, telling her that I had looked up the muse of dance, and her name was Terpsichore, which mean “She who delights in dance.” Grace loved the name and the meaning, but said that Terpsichore was a bit too fancy for daily use, so she would stay Grace (or Gracie) and save Terpsichore for special occasions. 
Still kind of buzzing from my spirit journey, I asked her if she would dance for me. She was several miles away, of course, but said that she would be happy to and I could share it with her in spirit. She danced, and she was a song of grace and delight. She asked me to dance with her, so I got up and danced on the porch while she danced in her garden; it was delightful. I called Athena to come out, and she watched while I danced a bit more. I tried to let go of my self-conciousness and let the dance flow, and it was a lot of fun.

I thanked her very much for sharing her dance with me. My friendship with her was a highlight of my vacation; it is very special, and she is a very special creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment