Thursday, July 21, 2011

An offering to Spider

While waiting in the lobby before the start of my interview, I reached out to the spiders in the building to tell me about the company.  Spiders are everywhere, and pay attention to everything :)

The spiders said that people there were cheerful and got along, although there was often stress about short deadlines; it didn't seem any worse than most software companies and better than many.  I asked them to use their influence to help me get an offer, if this was the right place for me.

The interview went well, and we came home.  The next day my wife suggested that I should make an offering to Spider, to thank her for her help.  This sounded like a good thing to do.  That evening I collected several things from my past: some vines of last year's tomato plants, some nice yarn I had been saving for years, and a large red and blue glass bead.  I wove a spiderweb on the vines, and threaded the bean onto the center.

The next question was what to do with it.  Should I burn it?  Throw it into the drainage canal behind the house?   Then the thought popped into my head, that I should take it down to the park nearby, onto the bridge that crossed the steam, and cast it away there, for any person or thing to find if they choose. 

That is what I did.  I dedicated the web to Spider in the backyard, then walked down and stood on the bridge: suspended between places, above the waters of change, in the twilight between day and night.  I called out to Spider, and to Oak, Water, and all good things.  I declared I felt that this job was the right thing for me and my family, and that I accepted and welcomed the changes and challenges that this would mean for us; that it would mean good for me and good for the company; and that I wished that anyone who could hear me would do what they could to make this happen.  I tossed the web out into the shadows and turned from it, hoping that my willingness to surrender things that I had been hoarding would be seen as a sign of my willingness to move forward into new things.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made that offering to Spider. I think it setteled us both emotionally and allowed us to accept whatever outcome was to be. There's no bargaining with the Powers but you can thank them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and the act of casting off the old and welcoming the new an important gesture both for me and for Them.

    ReplyDelete