Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ice storm

We have been hit by the big ice storm.  The ice is mostly gone now, but we have not had power for two days. I am really tired of this!

It was painful to see so many trees broken by the ice.  The ice was so thick that it bent some trees right over until the tops touched the ground; others lost many branches.  It seems like more than half of the trees I have seen suffered some major damage.  I went out and gave them what strength I could, but I could not stop the ice and many of the trees I know have suffered greatly.  They all said that endurance was one of their strengths, and that if they could they would make it through.  I spoke with the oak tree in my front yard, which has lost several large branches at the top; if all the top branches are broken, then it may not be able to grow properly again.  It did not seem to be in pain, but it felt very 'diminished'.  

Many of them knew that they may not survive this, and although a bit melancholy they did not seem greatly upset or angry as a person might.  Their thoughts seemed to be on the continuity of life, that there were many trees that survived and that their part may be ending the great play would go on.  It was comforting, I think I was more upset than they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment