Friday, May 15, 2009

Sacred Play

Oh boy, life gets away from you when you are not looking...  So here I am to finish the description of my last spirit journey, two months later!   The details have faded, but I will describe the key points.

Once in my clearing, I greeted my guides and asked about the Greenman.  He manifested (kind of) to me and we spoke for a few minutes.  He didn't appear physically, but I felt that he was speaking to me, like distant thunder from the horizon.  He could hear me and responded.

He said that he is not a deity, and is not really a being; he is a mask that people have created for adressing the transcendent, the principals of growth, fructification, death, and life.  This does not make him less real, but perhaps less personal. 

I asked if there was a reason why he had been on my mind recently, and he replied that it was an indication that there is something I need there, that it is right for me at this time to investigate the ideas further.  I should pursue the idea of the Greenman, and possibly make myself a Greenman mask or costume for renfairs and wear it.  I said, "But this would not be spiritual, it would just be play!  Wouldn't he be offended?".  His response: There is nothing more sacred than play.  For only in play do we give ourselves permission to be whatever is in our heart.  This is the most perfect of all spiritual practices. 

Knowing this, I will try to make a Greenman mask sometime this year, and wear it, even if I feel silly.  Perhaps this very sillyness will free me of my pride and fear of making mistakes, and help me to grow and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment