Thursday, November 15, 2007

Walking in the dark

 This is a "meditation" that I started practicing a few years ago, when I had to walk across a pasture in the dark.

I have very poor night vision.  When I had to walk across a pasture in the dark, I used to try to watch my feet closely to avoid holds, sticks, etc.  But it was too dark to really see, so I was always tripping and stumbling.  The ground never seemed to be where I thought it was.  It was hard to tell where I was going, because I was afraid to look up.

So I have found another approach.  I try to relax and NOT look at my feet.  I look outward at the horizon, without really focusing or trying to see details.  Then I walk forward confidently, trusting that my feet will know where to go without my assistance.  I open myself to the earth energy, and let my awareness flow outward, and just trust that if I need to know about something (a hole, a ditch, etc) then I will know about it at the right time.  This is very difficult for me -- to let go of seeing, of planning and knowing, and just trust that I will not fall.  But the results have been amazing.  I have not tripped ONCE since I started doing this.  I can travel up and down slopes, over ditches, and my feet always seem to know where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment