Monday, March 16, 2009

Children of the earth

I finally found time (after flu, sick kids, hurt dog, taxes, people, and other aggravations) to take a spirit journey.

The beach was cool and windy. The water was dark, and the wind was making small breakers on the beach. I could tell the water was full of life. I turned up the shore, and walked into the woods. I concentrated on opening my heart chakra, and the woods stayed fairly light; I could see the crisp winter sun through the leaves. I could see signs of spring all around, buds and tiny furled leaves, but it was still largely bare and wintry.

I walked up the winding path. Looking down, there was a large cluster of mushrooms at the base of the trees. They were ordinary wild mushrooms, brown and translucent with long stems and small heads. There were also some smaller ones with red caps. I stopped and spoke to them. I have always liked the look of mushrooms, but I don't like the taste and I thought the red ones were probably poisonous. The mushrooms were a little offended by this, they don't want to be eaten or judged by their taste! They spoke to me about themselves.

They are just the fruiting bodies of a network of vessels that wind through the earth and the rotting wood. The mushrooms themselves are transitory, they grow and wither while the real life continues. Mushrooms appear in rings sometimes, because the true being is in the earth, growing outwards in a circle and producing mushrooms at its edges. I got a strange sense from them, of being a transitory self that is a temporary expression of an eternal being, whose life is far greater than mine, but which depends on me for its exfoliation and expansion. The mushrooms are loved by the deeper being, and needed by it, but it is greater than they.
 


Tomorrow, I will write more about my encounter with the Greenman.

No comments:

Post a Comment